Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Irish Fashion Icon

Peter O'Brien is one of Ireland's most esteemed fashion designers, and deservedly so. A Dublin boy, he left Ireland to study in Central St Martins and eventually become one of the darlings of Paris working for the houses of Rochas, Chloe, Givenchy and Dior.
He has since come home and after designing a range for high street chain AWear for several seasons, he has moved to one of the countries oldest department stores, Arnotts. Peter showed his new collection there last night to a great and loving reception and I was thrilled to be there.

A chiffon blouse from the current collection. The range is minimal, as is his way. It contains only 23 pieces and only 70 of each have been made. His clothes have always been and will remain collectors items.

Peter prefers to work with a muted colour palette; black, camel, white and navy reigned last night. His aesthetic is one of pared down elegance with feminine details on a few pieces but nothing is ever over-done. He is the antithesis to showy, over the top, in your face fashion. His clothes make you look like a woman. His clothes have class.

The beautiful Karen walking for Peter last night ( you can see me, second on the left!)

This trouser ensemble is one of my favourites from his previous collections, I love the wide leg trouser and flat shoes that he always champions.

Another beautiful dress...I love the pairing with brogues. So often, people would tend to add a heel when a flat, manly shoe makes the look so much more interesting.

Peter is renowned for his couture gowns. The fabric he works with are amazing..layers of chiffon, silks and taffetas...

I adore this dress, the one thing that always grabs me when I see one of his creations is how beautifully they move....they flow and glide and wrap around the female form like a dream.

Look at the swish in this dress...simply perfect.
Peter O'Brien is one of my favourite designers and I am gradually collecting a few of his pieces as often as I can. I know that eventually Lu will wear them too.... They are timeless and will be thought of as treasures in years to come - that much I know.

Peter O'Brien, I salute you...keep doing what you're doing!

(show image from here )

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...