Thursday, November 24, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude


It's World Thank You Day. Sometimes gratitude is one of most inarticulate emotions. It can be hard to say. It can be hard even to feel when times are a bit tough. But to say it makes you feel better; it's been proven as effective treatment for those suffering with depression or those just over-whelmed by life in general. God knows it's rough out there at the moment for so many people, but if you can find 10 things to be thankful for no matter how little or supposedly insignificant -  they matter. Start making your list. Here's mine...

Today I am thankful for...

My parents who have battled through this year facing cancer, money worries and insecurity with grace, bravery, dignity and humour. They remain my sparkling idols.

My daughter Lulu, the light of my life, the apple of my eye, the point of it all.

 Ivan for being Lu's Dad so well.

My ever-cool brother John for just being him.

My new baby who is arriving in three weeks. I can't wait to look at that little face and see those feet that are kicking me right now.

My best friends. A small number I like to call 'The Committee' - they keep me sane, make me laugh, give advice, make me tea (and wine when not pregnant!) They bear witness to my life. I don't have riches but I am wealthy with the company I keep.

My work as a makeup artist which I continue to love after all this time. I truly believe the saying that if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life.

You lot! This blog which started as a hobby, has since become a true passion and I sincerely love hearing from you and finding beautiful things to show you.

Girl stuff. By this I mean makeup, clothes, magazines, nail polish etc. They are not just flippant - to me they are fun and make me feel like me when I feel a bit too much like a frazzled mother worrying about bills, health and serious things...

The kindness of strangers. By this I mean the people out there who are doing wonderful work to help others who are struggling. I have experienced this kindness myself lately and I now know that this is the energy that makes the world turn.
Be kind or be nothing.

So, there you go. What's on your list?

Happy Thanksgiving

xx

P.S. have a look at this cute blog where Leah writes a thank you note per day




2 comments:

Ciara said...

Lovely post Ellie, I think we all take for granted all the lovely things in life we have to be thankful for!
Thanks for reminding me to stop and take it all in again!

Anne said...

Feeling a little teary after that Ellie...in a good way though! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...